This course is designed for advanced practice nurses and physician assistants who will begin to perform cystoscopy. Using lecture and hands-on teaching strategies, participants will gain knowledge in identifying normal and abnormal findings in the bladder and indications for cystoscopy. Patient and equipment preparation to ensure safety during the procedure will also be described. Hands-on experience will expose participants to the care and handling of flexible and rigid cystoscopes and techniques for performing bladder biopsy and stent removal.
Contact hours available until 11/3/2016.
Requirements for Successful Completion:
Complete the learning activity in its entirety and complete the online CNE evaluation. You will be able to print your CNE certificate at any time after you complete the evaluation.
Faculty, Planners and Authors Conflict of Interest Disclosure:
Planning Committee Disclosures:
Gina M. Powley, MSN, ANP-BC
Consultant: Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Astellas/Medivation
Leanne Schimke, MSN, CRNP-C, CUNP
Speaker's Bureau: Bayer-Xofigo, Amgen-Denosumab
Heather Schultz, MSN, RN, NP-C
Honorarium: AUA Speaker, Other: AUA APN/PA Committee Member
Eileen Young, BSN, RN, CNOR
Employee: Olympus Corporation of America
There are no other disclosures to declare.
Commercial Support and Sponsorship:
No commercial support or sponsorship declared.
Society of Urologic Nurses and Associates is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
SUNA is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider number, CEP 5556.
• Recognize the anatomy, embryology, physiology and pathophysiology.
• Identify the indications for cystoscopy.
• Describe patient and equipment preparation for cystoscopy.
• Identify patient safety related to electrosurgery.
• Name CPT/ICD 9 codes that could apply to cystoscopy.
• Describe the proper reprocessing technique for cystoscopes in the office setting.
• Demonstrate proper care and handling to reduce potential damage to endoscopes and accessories.
• Recognize multiple abnormalities found during Cystoscopic evaluations through video presentation .
• Perform procedures using a flexible Cystoscope for selected cases such as stent removal and biopsy forceps.
• Demonstrate the ability to recognize normal bladder anatomy visualized through a flexible Cystoscope.
• Assemble the necessary equipment and lenses required to perform rigid cystoscopy.
You must be logged in and own this session in order to post comments.